ERAD2016 hosted and organized by Turkish State Meteorological Service has successfuly taken place in Antalya, Turkey from 10 to 14 October 2016. 200 Participants from 26 countries attended ERAD2016. 70 talks (including 5 keynotes) and 141 posters were presented during the ERAD2016 Conference. Next ERAD Conference, ERAD 2018 will be held in Utrecht, Netherlands in 2018 early summer.
The mission of ERAD
- provide a platform for an interaction between students, research scientists, radar engineers and operators, and end users of weather radar.
- provide a platform for exchanging knowledge between research and operational use of weather radar.
ERAD will focus on the following topics
- New and Emerging Radar Technology: Advances in radar hardware, advances in signal/array processing, advances in open source for radar applications, innovative applications of radar, integrating new technologies in field campaigns, polarimetric phased array radar, solid-state and pulse compression radar, gap-filling weather radar networks, innovation in education and training.
- Operational Radar Networks and Products: Status and modernization of radar networks, data quality control, impacts of operational radar on weather forecasts, nowcasting, and radar data climatology, practical applications developed at the meteorological services.
- Innovative Methods for Using Weather radar data in meteorology and hydrology : New insights for large radar archives, data fusion, machine learning and beyond. Innovative applications of radar data (e.g. birds, insects, bats, chaff, volcano eruptions).
- Quantitative Precipitation Estimation (QPE) and Hydrological Applications: This may include but is not limited to the dual-polarization radar, multi-frequency and multi- sensor (radar/ lidar / gauge /microwave link) approaches.
- Microphysical Studies: hydrometeor classification, microphysical retrievals using dual-polarization and multi-frequency radars, profilers, disdrometer.
- Mesoscale and Severe Weather: radar studies of tornadoes, tropical cyclones, winter storms, lightning using dual-Doppler & multi-radar data, field campaigns for investigating mesoscale and severe weather phenomenon.
- Use of Radar Data for NWP Models: Assimilation of radar data into convection-scale models, assimilation of dual-polarized radar measurements, use of radar data for convection-scale model validation, combined use of radar and satellite data in NWP models, automated data quality & analysis tools for NWP models, convective-scale ensemble prediction involving radar.
- Airborne and Spaceborne Radars: airborne radar systems (unammed and manned aircraft), spaceborne satellite missions (CloudSat, TRMM, GPM), future satellite missions (EarthCare and others), field campaigns for physical validation efforts of the satellite-based studies.
- Millimeter Wavelength Radars: ARM – CloudNet – German Supersites, multi-wavelength Ku/Ka/W/X systems, synergistic observations (radar / lidar / radiometer).
- Radar Calibration: Research and operational radar calibration as well as the methods for monitoring the stability of calibration.
Previous ERAD Conferences
- 9th (2016) Antalya, Turkey
- 8th (2014) Garmish-Partenkirschen, Germany
- 7th (2012) Toulouse, France
- 6th (2010) Sibiu, Romania
- 5th (2008) Helsinki, Finland
- 4th (2006) Barcelona, Spain
- 3rd (2004) Visby, Sweden
- 2nd (2002) Delft, The Netherlands
- 1st (2000) Bologna, Italy
- Kick-off (1998) Locarno, Switzerland
Dear Colleagues: A number of potential attendees requested extension for the abstract deadline. Please note that the program committee granted their requests an...